Rules applicable for Ph.D. Degree Programme:
These rules will be known as “Rules for Ph.D. Programme” for all faculties and subjects of Sarvajanik University.
[ 1 ] Application:
At the time of application, following should be submitted by the candidate.
- An online application.
- Scanned copy of the relevant academic mark-sheets.
- A short note on the professional background and experience of the applicant, if any.
- A “Statement of Purpose” explaining why the applicant wishes to pursue the Ph.D.
- Programme, in around 200 words.
- A Brief Proposal / proposed area of research explaining the context motivation and objective of research, in around 500 words.
- The names of two academic / non-academic referees from whom the University may seek information on the research potential of the applicant.
- Application fee decided by the University.
[ 2 ] Eligibility:
Master's degree or an equivalent degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks or equivalent CGPA.
[ 3 ] Entrance Examination Procedure:
a. Written Test
Candidates who have passed UGC-NET (including JRF) / UGC-CSIR NET (including JRF) / SLET or have passed M.Phil programme (where they were admitted
based on entrance test) are exempted from Ph.D. Written Test. All the candidates who are not exempted from the Written Test, are required to appear for the Ph.D. Written Test. The structure of the test shall be as follows:
- Part I: A paper in research methodology comprising Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).
- Part II: A paper of the relevant subject comprising Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) of PG level.
- Proportion of marks in these two Parts shall be 30:70 respectively.
- To qualify in the Entrance Test, the candidate has to secure minimum 50% marks in the aggregate.
Relaxations in passing percentage shall be applicable as prescribed by UGC.
b. Personal Interview (PI):
Candidates who clear the written test shall be required to appear for PI. Candidates
who are exempted from written Test, have to appear for PI. Personal Interviews (PI)
shall be conducted separately for each subject by Faculty-wise Doctoral Committee in
presence of all research supervisors of concerned subject, and an outside expert
nominated by Provost. At the time of PI candidates are expected to present and
discuss their research interest / area before Committee. Interview shall also consider:-
- Competence of student for proposed research.
- Feasibility of Research at the department.
- Contribution to existing knowledge.
c. Preparation of merit list:
The University shall bring out merit list of successful candidates in each subject,
based on the performance in written test and PI for each category.
Validity of the merit list shall be for current academic year. Admissions shall be given
based on the merit list and available seats. The admitted candidates shall have to pay
the prescribed fees within 10 days from the date of offer letter of admission, failing to
which the seat shall be allotted to the next eligible candidate on the merit list. If, any
vacancy arises by any means before the advertisement of new admission process, the
seat shall be filled from the waiting list. All waiting lists shall be considered and
void with the advertisement of new admission process.
[ 4 ] Research Proposal
- Upon successful completion of his / her coursework, each candidate shall make a
presentation before the Sarvajanik University-Research Committee (SU-RC) or a
committee appointed by SU-RC of the research proposal and demonstrate her / his
preparedness to carry out the proposed research.
- The candidate shall present and defend the proposal within one semester after
completing all prescribed coursework and within two semesters in the case of an
extension by due process.
- The Presentation and document of proposal shall comprise the following: (i) Outline
of the research proposal (ii) Rationale and significance of the proposed research (iii)
Theme based literature review (iv) Research design / proposed methodology (v) The
originality of the research and its contribution to the discipline (vi) Names of
academic / industry experts with whom the candidate corresponded while developing
the research proposal
- The SU-RC shall either approve the proposal or require the candidate to submit a
- A candidate shall ordinarily be allowed only two attempts for presentation before the
research committee. In case the proposal is not approved within the limitations
prescribed in this clause, the registration shall be cancelled.